Tues Fun Run - Wed Speedwork - Countryside 10K - Beginning Women's Running Group - Club Member Race Discounts off Allerton, Allerton, & Illinois Marathon - Volunteers Wanted!
We congratulate everyone who had fun and ran in one of the Mountain Goat races this past weekend! Our Tuesday Fun Run at 6pm is in Meadowbrook Park (Urbana) on the summer loop!
Upcoming Circuit Races (the full list is at this link):
#5 - Mahomet Run for the Library 5K/10K - April 6
#6 - Allerton Races 10K & Half Marathon - April 13 (Sorry, the Friday night 5K Glo Run not in the race circuit)
#7 - Illinois Marathon 5K - April 26
#8 - Illinois Marathon/Half/10K - April 27
Our outdoor fun run on MAR 19 at 6pm moves back to Meadowbrook park in Urbana IL. Our fun run coordinators will meet you in front of the park pavilion on Windsor Road at Vine Street. Runners tend to park in the parking lot on at the Vine Street entrance to the park, all on sidewalks. We begin the run for a 1 mile warmup loop, followed by announcements, and then continue on for an additional 3 or 4 miles (a combination of either two 2 mile loops or one 2 mile loop and one 1 mile loop), all on sidewalks around the park. Runners tend to park in the Meadowbrook parking lot on the corner of Windsor Rd and Vine Street. Although I beleive you should have enough light to complete the fun run this week, we encourage you to bring lights and wear reflective gear for your enhanced visibility.
On Tues MAR 19 7:15pm, the next Board meeting will be held in the Satterthwaite Conference Room in the basement of the Urbana Free Library, so board members can interact more with the membership. The 1st 15 minutes will also be reserved for committee meetings. The library is loacted on 200 W Green St in Urbana IL. All members are welcome to attend. If you would like to make a formal presentation or proposal to the board, please Email the President if interested.. More information about the library can be found at https://urbanafreelibrary.org/.
Tuesday's post run fun meetup is Maize at the Station at 7:30 for the real spring break (100 N. Chestnut Street in Champaign). I will not be there this week if you want to catch up with me. Let me know of any feedback or suggestions.
Wednesday Speedwork at 6pm: On MAR 20, Speedwork will be outdoors! We will meet at the Armory (Southwest entrance) and run the ramps either the parking garage or at Memorial Stadium. Runners of all speeds or comfort zones are welcome to participate in a fun and different type of workout. An alerternative indoor location due to inclimate weather will be at the UofI Armory. More information can be found at this link about the UofI Armory!
The Allerton Park Trail Run (the club sponsored race) will be held Sunday October 27, 2019 at 9am, featuring both a 5.7 mile run and 2 mile walk. Second Wind members receive a $3.00 discount when registering, but the 2mile walk does not count in the Second Wind race cricuit! Both the 5.7 mile run and 2 mile walk is part of the last jewel of the Monticello Triple Crown featuring a post run potluck style buffet, a fun costume contest with awards for best male/female/group costume, amazing age group awards, and more! You must participate in any event of ALL three races to qualify for the Monticello Triple Crown: Allerton Races in April (Half Marathon/10K/5K), Kirby Derby in May (5K/10K), and Allerton Park Trail Run in October!
Club Member race discounts off the CHRISTIE CLINIC ILLINOIS MARATHON!
Did you miss the email? Well...what are you doing? RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP TO GET THE MEMBERSHIP EMAIL WITH THE DISCOUNT CODE!
KEEPING READING YOUR EMAILS!!! The following races are in our race circuit!
The Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon is offering a new program called Be Your Best in Illinois! All Second Wind Running Club members entered inti the race will benefit from. (In case you didn’t know, Second Wind is one of 43 running clubs in Illinois that belongs to the Road Runners Club of America, aka RRCA).
- Postrace VIP Experience: A key piece of the program is a VIP tent for RRCA Club members ONLY at the 27th-Mile Celebrate Victory Bash on Saturday, April 27. A special wrist band is required to enter the VIP tent. Second Wind Running Club members can pick up their VIP tent wrist band at the RRCA booth at the health & fitness expo on April 25 and 26. The RRCA booth will be right next to the Second Wind booth. After your spectacular finish in Memorial Stadium and great food in the Great West Hall, head over to the 27th-Mile right outside Memorial Stadium for your VIP experience. Everyone’s favorite, Jimmy John’s, will cohost the VIP tent with Lumen Events and serve delicious Jimmy John’s sandwiches, chips, and jumbo cookies.
- Race Discount: If you haven’t registered yet for the 2019 race, use this unique Second Wind discount code...IS...for members ONLY. You should renew your membership and get the emails to see the code. This code is only given to members via the weekly email. At the end of the registration process, you will see a box that asks if you have a Discount Code. Enter the code provided above, select the Apply button, and $5.00 will be deducted from your cart. Good for any event except the youth run.
- Let us know you’re a Second Winder: Entrants are also asked during the registration process if they belong to an RRCA Club, and if so, to list their club name. If you registered for our race before early January, you would not have been asked this question, so click on the link below to let us know that you are a member of Second Wind: https://goo.gl/forms/
- Club-to-Club competition: this is a competitive donation component of the program. The race will donate to a charity of choice of two “winning” clubs based on (1) The club with the highest number of runners entered in the 2019 race and (2) the club with the highest percentage of runners, based on club size, entered in the 2019 race. Because Second Wind has an unfair advantage, the club is not be eligible to “win” the club competition. However, the Illinois Marathon will make a $1,000 donation to Second Wind after this year’s race.
- We hope you are as excited about this new program. If you have any questions, contact the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon by email (email@example.com) or telephone (217-369-8553). Jan Colarusso Seeley & Mike Lindemann, Co-directors: Making Runners Happy, One Mile at a Time! www.illinoismarathon.com or facebook.com/illinoismarathon
The Women's Fitness 5K will be Sunday, September 15 at 11:00 a.m.
ALSO, if you have NOT YET SIGNED UP FOR THE INDIANAPOLIS MONUMENTAL MARATHON, WE WILL SOON RELEASE A SPECIAL PROMO only for Second Wind members or registered particpiants of our fall marathon training.
Jim Fair III, RRCA Certified Race Director
President, Second Wind Running Club